Saturday, August 14, 2010

High School to College: What Happens Next?

Every college must provide disability related services; however, each institution establishes its own specific accommodations, and those accommodations are determined from the documentation provided by students who self-identify.

Sometimes students who come to college assume that the high schools have sent the information ahead of time. THAT WILL NOT BE THE CASE!! Students who need services must come in and speak to the Disabilities Office. Your college may use a different department name, but someone is there to help you. If you cannot find the disability department, check with the Student Services department, or go to the dean's office to find out whom you need to meet. You need to follow up. Most of the time, your professors can also suggest a person to talk to. In addition, you can also check the college website for available contacts.

No comments:

Post a Comment